Appointments Monday – Sunday.
Emergency appointments: 01383 722 818


Hepatitis outbreak warning

We're advising dog owners to make sure they're up to date with their pet's vaccinations following an outbreak of hepatitis in the Borders.

Sadly, four dogs have died from contracting the infectious disease.

The only way to protect your pet from hepatitis is annual booster vaccinations.

If your dog's vaccinations have lapsed, we're offering a restart course for the price of a booster until the end of July. Please give us a call to book an appointment.

Changes to insurance referral process 

A recent change has meant that some insurance companies underwritten by RSA insurance group will now request a £200 excess fee from their clients if their pets are referred outwith their insurance company’s’ preferred referral network.

RSA is informing its customers of these changes, either when they take out a new policy or renew an existing policy.  Referral helplines are in place for customers to call if they have any questions in regard to the Network and policy terms.

Unfortunately, Inglis Vets has no say over these changes or this charge. Our policy is always to offer a referral to the best specialist for our client’s pets,which may or may not be included in the insurance company’s preferred network. If your pet is being referred and you have any queries regarding this please do not hesitate to speak to your veterinary  surgeon.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

The Inglis Vets Team


Facebook advice helps to save dog’s life

Fast action saved a young dog his life – after his owner recalled advice given on a Facebook post and rushed him to a pet hospital.

Four-year-old Rhodesian Ridgeback Sam McNair was taken to Inglis Veterinary Hospital on Halbeath Road, after he started displaying signs of GDV, or Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus, one of the ‘worst emergencies’ a pet can suffer from.

When they arrived at Inglis Vets, Sam was immediately rushed to surgery under the care of vet Laura Cowan.

Laura said, “Thankfully Sam’s owner got him to us right away. GDV is one of the worst emergencies a dog can encounter and without prompt treatment, it’s very likely he would not have survived.

“GDV is caused when a dog's stomach inflates with gas and then twists, making it extremely hard to breathe and for blood to flow properly, which is why it can quickly turn deadly. Although we can’t always be certain what causes GDV, often it’s triggered after a dog digests a large meal or lots of water followed by exercise.  

“One of the most common signs is the dog trying to vomit and not bringing anything up. They can also become restless and begin panting, and you might notice their abdomen looking bloated.

“It was by sheer coincidence that Sam’s owner remembered reading a Facebook post a few days before about the signs of GDV, and as soon as they realised he was displaying some of the symptoms, they wasted no time in getting him to us.”

Sam feeling better. 

After undergoing successful surgery, Sam remained in the care of Inglis Vets for a couple of days before he was able to head home. He’s since been for a check up and is recovering brilliantly.

Laura added, “GDV is more common in big-chested dog breeds like Ridgebacks, Great Danes and German Shepherds, and we would encourage owners to think about feeding smaller meals during the day instead of one large meal, and try not to exercise your pet straight after they’ve eaten.

“I’m so happy Sam has made a great recovery and can continue having a healthy happy life. If owners are ever worried their pet is showing signs of GDV, the best thing to do is get them to a vet right away, as every second counts.” 

Vets microchip tortoise buddies

Inglis Vets are reminding exotic owners that it is possible for their pets to be mircochipped – after two tortoises visited to have their details registered.

Tortoises Bella and Finn were brought to Inglis Vets in Polbeth, West Calder, to have microchips inserted by vet Amy Wilson.

Amy said, “Tortoises often require sedation to be microchipped but Bella and Finn were really brave and didn’t need anything. We hospitalised them for the morning to make sure there weren’t any problems afterwards.

“Many people don’t realise that it’s possible to microchip certain exotic pets and is actually a legal requirement for certain tortoises. In any case it’s a good precaution to take, as tortoises need natural sunlight and exercise which means they’re often allowed to roam around the garden, and can end up getting out and going missing.

“Tortoises are actually a surprisingly common pet in this country, some can even live to be over 80 years old. This is why it is so important for us to help owners take good care of them and ensure they have the optimum environment to flourish.

“Bella and Finn are lovely pets and I’m sure their owners will have greater piece of mind now they have both been chipped!

“We’d always recommend tortoise owners to seek veterinary advice if they have any concerns about their pets.”

Avoid horror this Halloween by keeping human treats away from pets

A Fife vet practice is warning pet owners to be extra vigilant with their pets this Halloween – after a Cowdenbeath dog broke his way into his owner’s chocolate cupboard and scoffed six KitKats, two KitKats Chunky bars, two Aero bars, four caramels and a bag of miniature chocolates.

The dog was immediately rushed to Inglis Vets Care and Save branch in Cowdenbeath, moments after his owners discovered what had happened.

Vet Rachel Rogers said, “Luckily, we were able to make the dog sick and bring up all of the chocolate he had eaten. As most people know, chocolate is toxic to pets and can be fatal depending on the size of the dog and how much is consumed.

“Thankfully in this case, the owners were able to get their pet to us right away so we were able to counteract the damage.

“With Halloween coming up in a few weeks and people buying in sweet treats for trick-or-treaters, we would always recommend keeping all human treats well out of reach of pets. The toxic agent in chocolate is theobromine and for pets, this can cause abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and in worst cases, death.

“If you do suspect your pet may have eaten chocolate, seek veterinary help immediately. It’s also useful if you know how much has been consumed.

“Take our advice, this is definitely one scare you could do without this Halloween!”

Inglis open latest vet surgery in Polbeth, West Calder

Inglis are delighted to officially open their eighth veterinary centre in Polbeth, West Calder today (Monday 2nd October). The team are excited to welcome the residents and pets of Polbeth, West Calder and Livingston along to their state of the art branch. Inglis have also welcomed three new staff members who will be based at the surgery, they are RVN Mary Young, Client Care Advisor Diane Lambert and Client Care Advisor Cheryl Wilson. The surgery can be reached on 01506 242 444 or email 

(From L-R: Adam Tjolle, Mary Young, Lee-Ann Brogan, Diane Lambert, Graeme Eckford, Laura Dugdale, Audrey Kelly and Kate Wilson)